- This event has passed.
National Park Week 2017: Join the Celebration
April 15, 2017 - April 23, 2017
National Park Week takes place this year over two weekends in April from Saturday April 15 to Sunday April 23 with daily programming and special events in South Florida’s national parks (including a Meteor Shower Bike Ride) to celebrate Earth Day (Saturday April 22) and Park Rx Day (Sunday April 23).
Never heard of Park Rx Day ??? Follow this link to find out more.
Entrance to all national parks (including Everglades and Dry Tortugas in South Florida) is free both weekends during National Park Week, so plan ahead.
Here are some of the activities planned in South Florida:
Biscayne National Park
- Park After Dark: 6:00 to 9:00 PM on Saturday 04/15. Enjoy Biscayne National Park after hours, with a campfire, star-gazing and s’mores for kids. Boat tours are scheduled as well, but book early because they fill up fast. Follow this link for event details.
- Junior Ranger Day: 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 PM on Saturday 04/22. Celebrate Earth Day by becoming a Junior Ranger at Biscayne National Park. Learn more…
Dry Tortugas National Park
- Fort Jefferson History Tours: 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. daily. A 60-minute walking tour of the largest brick fortification ever built by the United States.
- Earth Day Responsible Fishing Program: Saturday 04/22 @ 3:00 PM. Meet a ranger on the Main Dock for a talk about coral reefs, protected fisheries, and recreational fishing, followed by a lesson on the use of cast nets and fishing equipment. Equipment provided.
Everglades National Park
National Park Week activities take place at four locations within the park.
At Royal Palm / 305-242-7700
- Anhinga Amble: 10:30 a.m. daily. Explore the Anhinga Trail for some of the best wildlife viewing in the park.
- Glades Glimpse: 1:30 p.m. daily. Topics vary daily. Meet at the benches at the Royal Palm Visitor Center.
- Nike Missile Tour: 2 p.m. on Saturday 04/15 and Sunday 04/16. A 90-minute walking tour of the park’s historic Nike Missile Site. Meet at the Daniel Beard Center.
At Gulf Coast Visitor Center / 239-695-3311
- Ten Thousand Island Boat Tour: 9:30 a.m. on Saturday 04/15 and Sunday 04/16 and 2 p.m. on Saturday 04/22. A 90-minute boat tour narrated by a park ranger (boat fees apply).
- Everglades Highlights:2:00 p.m. on Saturday 04/15, Sunday 04/16, Friday 04/21 and Saturday 04/22. Join a ranger for a short talk about the Everglades.
- Citizen Science Bird Count:Friday 04/21. Help count birds and other wildlife while learning about the mangrove estuary on a boat tour (boat fees apply).
- Park Rx Day:Sunday 4/23. Plan your own day in the park. Some suggestions: the South Florida National Parks Centennial Challenge Triathlon, the Tamiami Trail Triathlon, or a paddle trip into Ten Thousands Islands.
At Flamingo / 239-695-2945
- Crocodile and Manatee Talk: 1:30 p.m. on Sunday 04/16, Saturday 04/22 and Sunday 04/23. Learn about these rare animals and then look for the real thing! Meet at the benches below the Flamingo Visitor Center for a talk and short walk.
At Shark Valley / 305-225-2001
- Ranger Walks: daily at 8:45 a.m. and 4:15 p.m.
- Meteor Shower Bike Ride: Saturday 04/22. Watch a rare meteor shower event over the Everglades. Call 305-221-8776 for reservations.
- Canal Bike Ride: 7:30 a.m. on Saturday 04/22 and Sunday 04/23. Take a bike tour through Shark Valley Slough to look for wildlife. Call 305-221-8776 for reservations.
- Park Rx Day: Sunday 04/23 – Rent a bike or bring your own to ride 7 miles to the Shark Valley Tower for a spectacular view of the Everglades wilderness and its wildlife.