- This event has passed.
Experience Your Backyard: Island Clean-up
April 30 @ 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Join us in Biscayne National Park in preparation for sea turtle nesting season and experience firsthand one of the many projects your donations support – the Alternative Breaks (AB) volunteer program in Biscayne.
Every day marine debris polluting Florida’s waters wash ashore in Biscayne, threatening the park’s sensitive coastal habitats and beaches. This month SFNPT friends and members will have the chance to volunteer to clean up debris from the parks islands and clear the way for endangered and threatened sea turtles to nest. This unique opportunity will allow members to travel by park boat out to park islands and get a behind the scenes experience not offered to the general public.
All SFNPT members and friends are welcome (ages 15 and older), but spaces fill up fast so be sure to RSVP to reserve your spot.
Questions & RSVP: Jessica@southfloridaparks.org / Call 305.665.4769
General details for the day (volunteers will receive a detailed list of what to bring, meeting directions, additional info, etc.):
- 8:00 am Meet at the Dante Fascell Visitor Center, Biscayne National Park
- 8:30 Volunteers will get a brief safety/day overview and will then travel on park boats out to the cleanup sites
- 9:30-2:00 Island cleanup, with breaks and lunch in this time
- 2:00 Leave islands for the mainland and unload collected trash into a dumpster
- The park will provide work gloves, bug spray, hand sanitizer, life vests, coolers with ice and ice water
- You need to bring lunch and reusable water bottles, hard-soled shoes, and clothing for sun/water that you don’t mind getting wet and dirty
Read more about Biscayne’s sea turtles conservation work https://www.nps.gov/bisc/learn/nature/sea-turtle-information-and-conservation.htm
Photo Credit: Biscayne National Park & Coastal Cleanup Corporation